(From CSIS.org) The South China Sea and Asia Pacific in Transition - Exploring Options for Managing Disputes: The CSIS Southeast Asia Program hosted its second annual conference on Maritime Security in the South China Sea June 27-28, 2012.
The conference is a timely policy level discussion of the complex and important issues around the South China Sea. The program took place a week before Secretary of State Clinton departs for the ASEAN Regional Forum (ARF) and Post-Ministerial Conference (PMC) in Phnom Penh, Cambodia.
Assistant Secretary of State for Asia and the Pacific Kurt Campbell delivered the keynote speech on Wednesday, June 27 and Senator Jim Webb (D-VA), chairman of the Senate’s Asia Pacific subcommittee, presented a keynote address on Thursday, June 28.
In addition, CSIS is pleased to have recruited a world-class group of experts from Asia and the United States to initiate the dialogue around five key themes:
- Recent developments in the South China Sea
- South China Sea in ASEAN-U.S.-China relations
- Assessment of the South China Sea in a changing regional landscape
- Role of international law in resolving and managing territorial disputes
- Policy recommendations to boost security and cooperation in the South China Sea
Continuing disputes suggest there is a great need and interest to explore security in the South China Sea. We have invited approximately 20 experts to make presentations and invited senior officials, executives, academics, and members of the media to participate in the dialogue. The full conference agenda is available here.
Joe Lieberman, U.S Senator
Kurt Campbell, U.S Assistant Secretary of State for East Asian and Pacific Affairs
Dr. Dang Dinh Quy, President, Diplomatic Academy of Vietnam
- 07/08/2012 01:28 - Press Statement: South China Sea
- 19/07/2012 00:00 - [Video] Press Availability in Phnom Penh
- 18/07/2012 20:30 - Press Statement: The South China Sea
- 18/07/2012 20:30 - [Video] Secretary Clinton Testifies on the Law of …
- 18/07/2012 18:46 - [Video] Press Availability in Hanoi
- 05/07/2012 18:00 - [Video] South China Sea: Maritime Lanes and Territ…